Dancing Sun Cabins
1985 Roaring Fork Road, Hot Springs, NC 28743, Madison County, USA 828-622-9569
Hiking and Hiker Support for the Appalachian Trail
Dancing Sun Cabins is a great place support thru hikers or to even join someone on a hike along the Appalachian Trail.
Our property sits at the base of Max Patch Mountain and Walnut Mountain. Our creeks drain both of these watersheds. It is a short drive to the Max Patch parking lot from our cabins or to the Gorenflo Gap parking lot. Both access points make it easy to access the trail by car. It is very easy to meet a hiker at Max Patch or Harmon's Den and join the hike.
You can hike up to Lemon Gap or Walnut Mountain Shelter on a 1-2 hour hike from your cabin door. You can even hike up to Max Patch from our cabins with a little help with directions from Tom and Rebecca. The hike takes us a few hours to go up and back and is a little steep, but well worth it.
We love to do "trail magic" from time to time, so let us know if you are supporting a hiker and we may go up and feed them breakfast.
Hike From Your Cabin Door
From a "wander and ponder" stroll through the forest to steeper challenges that offer wonderful cardiac workouts, we have just the hike for you right out your front door.
Each cabin has a book with maps to help you find the perfect hike. Rebecca and Tom can also suggest hikes specific for the weather conditions and your needs.
There are many, many choices.
- The Waterfall Trail: Wander up the driveway and take right past the Appalachian Shack to the waterfall trail. We are so fortunate to have the National Forest for our backyard. Come and play. The waterfall offers a great opportunity to play in the creek on a hot summer's day. Explore the cascades and waterfalls either in the creek or on the trail that winds in, out and around the forest.
- The Labyrinth Trail: There is only one spot on our 100 plus acres that you cannot hear our waterfall. This little Hollow tends to be silent, even on windy days, when the wind roars through the tree tops. This is the place we chose to build our Labyrinth. A Labyrinth is not a maze. It is a meditative walk with only one path through it. It is an ancient design. It is used for prayer and deep meditation. We welcome you to come and walk our Labyrinth in the woods. It is a short walk from your cabin door.
- Loop to Cat Pen and T and R Bald: This is a 2-3 hour loop that we have created from our property that incorporates the Appalachian Trail. It is a delightful walk up to 2 bald areas that offer incredible views. Cat Pen is at the top and allows one a 360 degree view with an incredible view of Max Patch and Lemon Gap as well as Bluff Mountain.
- Loop to Walnut Mountain: Another wonderful loop that incorporates the Appalachian Trail is our Walnut Mountain Loop. This takes 2-3 hours also and can be joined with the Loop to Cat Pen to make a nice full afternoon or day hike. This loop takes you to Walnut Mountain AT shelter. Here it is possible to go even further to Lemon Gap and then loop back to your cabin. The possibilities are endless as are the views.
- Historical Wasp and Wolf Creek Falls: This is a challenging 10 mile hike that begins at the back of our house. It takes you through an old community that died out in the 1930's. You walk across Kale Gap and down, down, down to the waterfall then back. This hike gives you a sense of what life must have been like to former generations. It is a full day hike and really for experience hikers. There are several opportunities to take the wrong path or road, so pay attention to the directions and always know how to come back.
Please join us in prayerful support of our Veterans as they "Walk off the War" by walking the entire Appalachian Trail.
From Your Cabin Door
Below is a hand drawn map of the trails you can take from your front door. The possibilities are endless........
Click on the hikes below to see our reviews
of the hikes we have
taken in the area.
Check out our video of Max Patch in Autumn.
Learn about the value of Jewel Weed, the hiker's friend
Click here to learn more about the